Boy. Girl. Man. Woman. Boo. Lover. Partner. Boyfriend. Girlfriend.
TITLES.
I am not a fan of titles, I am unsure when I made the decision that titles are the beginning to a slow death to a relationship. Maybe because it seems like most courtships of my friends meet their untimely demise at the introduction of a title, or maybe because the man I loved in college wasn’t a fan of titles. Maybe at some point I decided arguing for a title wasn’t worth losing the courtship of the man in my life. I don’t know where my dislike started but it has ended with me not being a fan of titles, particularly the infamous, dooming titles of…boyfriend or girlfriend.
With a title comes pressure, comes accountability, and expectations. I am in no way escaping the normal parameters that are placed on being a girlfriend nor do I fear the pressure or accountability. But expectations, I have a problem with. What are you expecting of me as your girlfriend outside of “normal” girlfriend duties? I have a problem with a man expecting me to intrinsically tie my life to his because I am his girlfriend.
Can we fully be committed without a title? Yes you can, if you are honest and trust each other. Importantly, you have to decide how your situation operates outside the two of you. You have to set rules, set limits and boundaries and define your own relationship.
This is different from a titled relationship because without one, WE can define our relationship without bringing the traditional expectations within our courtship.
Also, a relationship without a title does not negate progression, and it most definitely doesn’t mean that we are “friends with benefits.” It is something real, it is tangible, and it is so dynamic that a title box can’t contain it—at least for me it is.
This is just me. Every situation is different, and let’s be honest most people need a title for self-affirmation and for others to know…they have a man.
After-all, my end goal title is WIFE.
No comments:
Post a Comment